The first International Day of Yoga is celebrated on 21 June. Yoga is a precious gift from the Indian culture to the world. It is a matter of pride for us that 177 countries immediately adopted Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s proposal to celebrate International Yoga Day at the United Nations. This shows the importance of yoga.
The word yoga has two meanings – “the first joint and the second samadhi”, yoga says that you will not reach samadhi before joining yourself. Yoga is a means of physical and mental development of man. Yoga has divine powers, yoga is a means of union with your soul.
Also Read : What is Yoga: Types and Benefits
Types of Yoga
There are many types of yoga and each type of yoga has its own distinct features and benefits –
- Hatha Yoga – There are different types of “asanas” in this yoga and the purpose of all these yogas is to keep the body fit and clean.
- Karma Yoga – Karma yoga says that a man should help others without selfishness
- Mantra Yoga – Mantra yoga is associated with “song”. Meditating, singing and meditating on God is the main purpose of this yoga.
- Bhakti Yoga – Devotional Yoga is taught by dedicating oneself to the feet of God. It is related to meditation and devotion to God
- Jnana Yoga – Jnana Yoga means knowing yourself, recognizing the power in you, the goal of this yoga.
- Raj Yoga – This yoga is most famous. Shri Krishna also told about this yoga in the Gita, this yoga is the yoga of Patanjali.
It is also known as Ashtanga Yoga. Ashtanga yoga consists of 8 parts –
Among these, Asana, Pranayama and Meditation are the most famous.
Important Benefits of Yoga –
Yoga has many benefits not only physical but mental as well. Yoga is the simplest way to accomplish human development.
Physical Benefits of Yoga-
- Increases body flexibility
- Muscles are strong
- Respiratory function improves
- Metabolic balance
- Weight remains in control
- Blood circulation is good
- Strengthens the immune system
- The body has the power to fight disease
- Science says that people who do yoga are happy
- Sugar level is always controlled
- Helps to focus on human actions
- Regulates the nervous system
- The brain remains relaxed
- Increases oxygen flow to lungs
- All digestive problems end.
- Get rid of all types of medicines… etc.
Mental Benefits of Yoga-
- Yoga relieves stress
- Peace of mind is always there
- Connect the soul with spirituality
- Thinking power increases
- You sleep well and you sleep deeply
- Confidence begins to grow… .ETC
Yoga is a 5000 year old science associated with the culture and tradition of India. This science has been adopted all over the world today. That is why our India got the name of “Jagadguru”. Maharishi Patanjali gave yoga in written form to India, which is a precious gift.
Some other Benefits of Yoga –
Physical Benefits – The practice of yoga is beneficial for the whole body, muscles are strong. Bones are strong. Improves the ability to fight disease.
Digestive Institute – By doing regular yoga exercises, the appetite becomes good, the food is digested properly, the person who does yoga starts eating pure, sattvic and light food.
Respiratory Institute – Although yoga has a good effect on breathing, pranayama is very beneficial, especially in respiratory diseases like asthma, allergies, chronic ulcers, sinusitis, tonsillitis, etc.
Mental Benefits – Yoga is also a great way to improve mental health. Yogasana, pranayama and meditation are very beneficial in mental illnesses like stress, memory, insomnia, depression, depression. Meditation in particular works wonders in mental disorders.