What is Yoga –
To know what yoga is, we have to go to its heart. The word yoga comes from the Sanskrit word “yuj”, which means to join. It is basically has two meanings, first and second is samadhi. Until we can connect with ourselves, it is difficult to reach the level of samadhi.
It is not just exercise, but science based physical activity. Brain, body and soul are found in it. At the same time, there is a harmony between man and nature. It is a way of living life well. Sri Krishna has also said in the Gita that yoga brings action skills.
To understand this, we have to know the statement of eminent philosophers, scholars and yogis. Who defined Yoga accordingly.
It is wrong to add yoga to the field of religion, faith and superstition. It is science, which is the art of living life. It is also a complete medical system. While religion connects us with ankles, this is the path to freedom from all kinds of shackles. – Osho
When you learn to hold the whole body properly, you can feel the energy of the whole universe inside you. This is yoga. – Sadguru Jaggi Vasudev
Yoga is the only way to prevent mental instinct from becoming fickle. In simple language, It is not about wandering the mind and keeping a stable place. – Patanjali
After knowing the definition of yoga, we also know why it is necessary to do.
Also Read : Benefits of Yoga that will keep you Healthy
Benefits of Yoga –
Yoga benefits you by working on three levels. In this sense, doing it is good for everyone.
In the first phase, he works to restore humans by restoring them.
In the second stage, it affects the brain and thoughts. It is our negative thoughts that put us in stress, anxiety or mental disorder. It helps us get out of this cycle.
By reaching the third and most important stage, man frees himself from worries. To reach this last stage, one must work hard. Thus, the benefits of yoga are found at various levels.
After experiencing so many benefits of it, we now also know how many types of yoga there are.
Types of Yoga –
Although it is difficult to say how many types of yoga are there, but here we are usually talking about the types of discussion:
- Raj Yoga: The last stage of yoga is called Samadhi only Raj Yoga. He was considered the king of all yogas because he is definitely a specialty of all types of yoga. It involves taking a little time out of daily life to do self-inspection. This is the kind of practice that anyone can do. Maharishi Patanjali gave it the name of Ashtanga Yoga and mentions it in detail in the Yoga Sutra. He gave eight types, which are:
- Yama (swearing)
- Rule (self-discipline)
- Pranayama (respiratory control)
- Withdrawal (price control)
- Perception (concentration)
- Samadhi (freedom from huts or union with God)
2. Jnana Yoga: Jnana Yoga has been seen as the path of knowledge. It is a means of knowledge and introduction to oneself. Thanks to this, the darkness of the mind, that is, ignorance disappears. It is said that the soul is purified by yoga knowledge.
The attainment of pure form by contemplation is called Jnana Yoga. At the same time, intelligence is developed by studying Yoga texts. Jnana yoga was considered the most difficult. In the end, the only thing one can say is that the discovery of vast possibilities lost in itself and absorbed by Brahman, it is called Jnana Yoga.
3. Karma Yoga: We understand Karma Yoga through this verse. Yoga karma kishlem means to be absorbed by karma. Sri Krishna has also said in the Gita: “Yoga: Karmasu Kaushalam” means to work effectively.
The principle of Karma Yoga is that everything we experience in the present is based on our past acts. Due to Karma Yoga, a person works in the world, without getting entangled in any fascination and eventually assimilated by God. This is considered best suited for homes.
4. Bhakti Yoga: Bhakti means divine love and yoga means union. Dedication, love and devotion to God, creation, creatures, animals, birds etc. Bhakti yoga is considered. It can be practiced by any age, religion, nation, poor and rich. Everyone worships someone like their God, just that worship is called Bhakti Yoga. This devotion is done with selfless spirit, so that we can reach our goal safely.
5. Hatha Yoga: This is the ancient Indian method of meditation. In hattha, ha means hakara, i.e. the right nasal vowel, called the pingala nadi. At the same time, the meaning of the left nasal vowel is called ada nadi, while yoga works to connect the two.
An attempt is made to maintain a balance between these two channels through Hatha Yoga. It is believed that sages practiced hatha yoga in ancient times. These days, the prevalence of hatha yoga has increased dramatically. By doing this you can remain physically and mentally calm.
6. Kundalini / Taal Yoga: According to yoga, there are seven chakras in the human body. When Kundalini is awakened by meditation, Shakti awakens and enters the brain. During this time, it activates the seven chakras.
This process itself is called Kundalini / Taal Yoga. In this, man frees himself from external slavery and tries to listen to the words born inside, which is called nad. This type of practice ends the agility of the mind and increases concentration.
After knowing the types of yoga, we will now talk about the rules of adoption in yoga.
Before and during yoga, it is necessary to follow certain rules, which we talk about below:
- According to the rule, It should be practiced before sunrise and sunset. Doing yoga in the morning is more beneficial.
- A gentle warm-up is necessary before Yoga to open the body.
- Yogasan should always be started with Tadasana.
- Yogasan should be done on an empty stomach in the morning.
- Those who are doing yoga for the first time, they should do light yoga asanas first and only under the supervision of a yoga instructor. Then, as they get used to it, their level increases.
- If you do it in the evening, do it only after three to four hours after eating food. Also, eat something after half an hour.
- One should not take bath immediately after doing Yogaasan, but stay for a while.
- Yoga should always be done wearing comfortable clothes.
- The place where you do yoga should be clean and quiet.
- While doing it, try to eliminate negative thoughts from your mind.
- The most important rule of yoga is to do it patiently and do not put too much emphasis in any posture. Do according to your ability.
- All Yogasanas depend on breathing and liberation, which is essential for complete knowledge. If possible, learn it first, then do it yourself.
- If you are sick or pregnant, do so only after consulting your doctor. Do this also under the supervision of a qualified teacher.
- Always perform Shavasana at the end of Yogasana. It soaks the body and mind completely. It is completely beneficial only by performing Shavasana.
- Do not drink cold water during yoga as the body remains warm during this time. Therefore, instead of cold water, drink only soft or lukewarm water.
The right time to practice –
- In Yoga science, the day is divided into four parts, Brahma Muhurta, Sunrise, noon and sunset. Of these, Brahma Muhurta and Sunrise have been considered the best for yoga.
- It is believed that if you do it while standing in Brahma Muhurta, you get the most benefit from it. At that time, the atmosphere is pure and fresh air moves. Usually only those who attain spiritual knowledge are doing yoga at this time.
- The Brahma Muhurta is considered four o’clock in the morning. At this time it is not possible for everyone to get up, so if you do it even at sunrise, it is better. This keeps the body energetic throughout the day.
- Keep in mind that Yogasan should always be done on an empty stomach.
- You can do it even after sunset, but until three or four hours ago, you have not eaten anything.
Essential things for Yoga –
- These things are most needed while practicing yoga:
- Clean and comfortable mats.
- Comfortable clothes, in which you have no problem doing it.
- Depending on the course, you can also keep a towel with you so that you can wipe yourself when sweating.
- Clean water bottle.
- Whether you are female or male, if you have long hair, tie it so that you do not have any problem during yoga.
- Some people may find it difficult to do it at first, so they can use yoga blocks and belts. You should ask your trainer once before using.
- The most important thing is that the room in which you do, should be clean and quiet.
What should be the mental state during practice –
Yoga infuses new energy into our body. To get this energy it is also necessary to prepare your body. So while doing it, remove all the bad thoughts from your mind. Do not think at all about whether there will be any benefit from doing yoga and at what time it will happen.
While doing it, try to make your mind completely stable and calm. Although, you may have problems at first, but gradually everything will become normal.
Other Tips –
- Think carefully and choose a good teacher. Do not show haste.
- Always keep a light smile on your face while doing it.
- Whenever you sit in Padmasana or Sukhasana, keep your waist very straight.
- Release the breath from the mouth and pass through the nose.
- At which stage, you must know exactly when to breathe and when to leave.
- Do as much as possible with your body.